Tuesday, May 3, 2005

No Internet

I have no Internet at the moment. I let my NCF account lapse, partly out of inertia and laziness, and also partly out of annoyance - its an Internet co-op, basically, though it was once an online community, and I was once its volunteer of the year, really believed in the cause. But it was consumed by pet projects like Citrix/Winframe-hosted applications and other weirdness, as well as its own proprietary usenet style forums, that non-members could not participate in. And this was an organization that had been built to foster online community! You don't build community by letting people basically x-terminal into free copies of Microsoft Word, and by refusing to dialogue with the outside world.

Meanwhile, the rest of the world had begun Instant messaging and blogging, taking community generations beyond anything NCF can now easily reach. My wife and I will eventually get broadband, I expect. But if I choose not to renew over at NCF, I may not be posting all that often until.

2 comments:

A said...

Um....you can't leave the rest of us in the lurch like that!!!!!!

evolver said...

Update: all our volunteer work kind of collapsed in a steaming heap within two days of trying to go Internet free. So looks like I'm renewing!