Saturday, May 21, 2005

Leaky pipes

We fled the house yesterday. After my daughter had a shower, the ceiling on the floor below began to leak. And it kept getting worse. It stopped when we cut the water. So we left the water turned off, and flipped off the breaker for the hot water tank, and then headed to the cottage. Hope that was the end of it. We'll have a small fortune in repairs ahead of us - the drywall ceiling in the bathroom downstairs, and whatever it costs to rip out walls and repair the plumbing.

Ironically, I've spent the day hooking up water at the cottage; my brother in law and I hooked the sauna back up for the summer. There have been eight billion mosquitoes, I'm covered in dirt, but I'm happy to be here, far away from the headache that awaits at home. I may take the season's first swim today - if I'm brave. The water is only about fifty degrees. The sky is grey and rain is pouring down, but the day began sunny. I almost fell asleep in the sun this morning, at 7 AM. I would have if the mosqitoes weren't trying to drain me dry. I should have brought my camera. The lake was still and beautiful this morning as the sun came up. There was no mist over the water, as in summer, because the water is too cold to give off much steam. It was like sitting beside a giant mirror.

The day's beauty paled next to the night's however. Last night, just before falling asleep, I stared out the window. The moon was high in the sky, casting a silver light over all the pine and cedar boughs. I could see them all clearly, like pewter ornaments glistening in the moonlight. What can you do at a sight like that but stand in awe and silently thank God for the privilege of being witness?

1 comment:

A said...

oooohhh....so sorry about your plumbing difficulties...that is super frustrating (or can be). You should come to Texas...you could have gone swimming today...we reached the 100 mark!