Monday, September 27, 2004

Why do I blog?

I think my biggest reason for starting a blog was the romantic notion that someday when I am really old and my kids are in their thirties, they might want to know what I was like. I have no illusions it is anything but a romantic ideal, of course; I haven't printed out so much as a single page of this blog, and all of this content will be destroyed, in utter anonymity, when Microsoft buys out Google in 2009. :-)

So why write now? In part, because the world needs people to stop, think, and reflect on who they are. Self awareness may be in part a conceit, an illusion that our individuality sets us apart from everything else. But it is also the first step in understanding that existence has meaning. It is the first step taken on the road to Emmaus.

1 comment:

A said...

Yea!!! I'm glad you blog! I always enjoy reading what you have to say (now the pressure is on!).