Sunday, September 12, 2004

Sunday Night's disjointed post-it note

We went up to the cottage this weekend, to try and finish off the kitchen (my wife's sister passed away in August, and my August archives chronicle how their kitchen became the focus and balm of our grief.)

We nearly have it finished. All the doors are mounted, the handles are all on. The drawer fronts for the utensil drawers are all mounted, and we built the drawer fronts for the pan drawers. In fact, since we ran out of barn board, we planed down parts of my niece's old bed slats, and used those for the field boards. We're leaving hidden notes detailing these little secrets inside the construction, so that someday, when they inherit the place and gut it, they will see the love and care we put into that which they are destroying. ;-)

At church tonight, our folk group (yes, 'folk group' - our leader hates the term 'choir') sang a rather unusual hymn. Our folk group leader heard Kenny Rogers sing this song on 'The Muppets' and it is called 'Love Lifted Me.'

The song certainly lifted me. Do you notice how songs do that? I think there is something profound to be had there.

I read a while ago that scientists found a bass note pulsing from a distant black hole. I forget which note it was. And I learned of another tonal discovery of note around the same time - some physicist had discovered the big bang (the cosmic explosion that brought creation into existence) had made a sound. He had found the echoes of that sound, and plotted a WAV file that emulated that sound. I went and found it, and if you want to listen to the moments of creation, here you go!

I remember reading St. Augustine's musings on Genesis - he wondered at how God could speak, and the world be created from that, and thought that it must be sustained because God's Word is eternal and unfading. In a respect, Augustine was not far off what is believed today. Cosmologists think the key to that holy grail, the Unified Theory is to be found in the superstring theory, in which it is posited that creation is a kind of 20 dimensional quantum vibration. Now as any musician knows, music is a vibration, and most musical instruments themselves vibrate to create music.

This further reminds me, as I muse, that in Tolkien's middle earth creation mythology, the Silmarilion, he has that world's analogies to God and His angels sing the world into creation.

I wonder sometimes if Tolkien might have been on to something. Does God sustain the world with something not unlike music? What a pleasant thought...

No comments: