Tuesday, September 14, 2004

God I love sunsets

I have a balcony that faces into summer and fall sunsets. Tonight the clouds were dappled with pink, and the sky was a kind of deep blue green. Unfortunately, I can never really find the words that do it justice.

In the summer, driving up to the sandbanks one night at 10:30, I looked out the passenger window, and the afterglow was much like tonight's. Above stars twinkled, and Jupiter blazed in its characteristically bright way.

I wish I could get back to the Sandbanks (where my folks live.) I have not been to see them since my vacation. I love sitting by the waves, watching the ships traveling to Toronto, past the lighthouse at Salmon Point. Sunsets are not the same there in the fall, and it will be well into fall before I can get back. But the sun does set over the water in the fall. That is nice.

Saturday nights sometimes, my wife and I go down to a long rock that sticks out into (but above the waves.) We sit under the blue/black skies full of stars and talk about little nothings. It seems a shame that, since that is a summer pastime, I have to wait nearly a year to do it.

No comments: