Monday, September 6, 2004

Summer passes again

Last night I dreampt that we were at the cottage, and after a blisteringly hot day, it had snowed heavily. The ground was covered with snow, and the lake was covered with snow and slush, but powerboats were still driving merrily up and down the lake; noone was willing to give up summer. So I went out and threw myself off the dock into the water. The water was warm, but I could not get back out of the water, because of all the snow, and the fact that I was wearing my winter clothes. Then I woke up.

I'm sure Freud would have a field day. Am I truly fearing the onset of winter that much? In Ottawa at least, we tend to think of summer as starting with Victoria Day and ending on Labour Day. The weather shows no sign of change yet, and the forecast for the next seven days is for more normal summer weather.

But the geese are gathering, and practicing v-formation flight. Some of the maples have a hint of red in their leaves. The sunsets are taking on that particular golden colour that comes with fall. And of course, the kids are back in school - my youngest starting tomorrow, and my eldest, at college since a week ago today.

Fall is a wonderful season - the bugs go away, and the colours are spectacular. My only complaint is that it is followed by winter. And while winter is nice Christmas weather, it has worn out its welcome by March. :-)

2 comments:

Cerridwen said...

admirable - so many people do not know but Mother's are jugglers too...

good luck !

Cerridwen said...

admirable - so many people do not know but Mother's are jugglers too... and you seem to be doing a good job as a father worrying like a Mom

good luck !