Friday, September 17, 2004

Does God talk to you? YES!

Does God talk to people during the course of their lives? Absolutely, he does!

I have to temper my enthusiasm with a certain degree of caution. He does not whisper in the ears of postal workers, telling them to go postal. (Just kidding - my wife was a postal worker ;-) He is not carefully instructing world leaders to drop bombs on poor people. In fact, the minute you start telling people in any self-exalting way about what God has said to you, the more you can be sure He never said it.

Nonetheless, God does have a lot to say to you. You simply have to learn how to pick up on it. As Pope John Paul once said, "And if His word is not heard, perhaps it is because the ears of our hearts are not open to it."

I think I first realized just how plainly God communicates with us when I made my Cursillo weekend - just through a lot of strange and improbable coincidences. And at my team meeting last night, I got a fresh reminder of just how in your face God can be about what he wants for you and from you. And who hasn't randomly flipped open the Bible and found exactly the words of wisdom he or she needed?

Open the ears of your heart. He has much to tell you.


No comments: