Saturday, September 25, 2004

I'll be the moonlight

"The sun it was golden, though the sky it was grey, and she wanted more than she ever could say." Suzanne Vega, The Queen and the Soldier

The last two nights, I have gone down to the dock, sat down, and watched the moon reflect on the water. But where last night, the moonlight rippled across the water, tonight the water was still as glass. Because of that, there was a moon in the sky, and a moon in the water. There were a few wispy clouds in the sky, but it was otherwise clear, so the water looked as unending as the starry sky.

Perhaps the infinite beauty of the universe, which you can only really begin to see at night, was what I needed to break through the melancholy of a dull day. I can't help but remember in my kitchen song that I included the line, "I'll be the moonlight, the sun on the dock." Where others are seeing hummingbirds, perhaps that is the way in which I am kept in her presence.

The ancient creeds of Christianity, the Apostle's Creed, and the Nicene Creed, refer to the "communion of saints" - which speaks to the way in which those of us who are living are part of the same community of faith as those who have left us. It is a comforting thought. Those who are now beyond the reach of our senses are with the great, glorious God of Heaven, who alone perhaps can help them reach us, when we feel lonely.

To look at the moonlight tonight, it certainly seems that way.

No comments: