Monday, September 20, 2004

We finished the kitchen... sort of

On Friday night, we stopped to eat (en route to the cottage), and yet another one of those awesome sunsets was taking place. As we were leaving the house, I kept saying to my wife, "You've gotta see this!" and busy as she was, she just ignored me. But then, when we got out of the private lane we live on and pulled onto the road, the colours in all their immense glory flooded into the windows of the car, and she said, "Ohhhhh...." :-)

This weekend, we installed the kick plates, the drawer fronts for the pot drawers, and the tile trim. That finishes everything for which we built plans, but my brother in law pointed out that it did not finish everything my sister in law had written down on her to do list (remaining are trim for the top, and the island corner.)

Nevertheless, he said quietly, "I hope you like it, dear," and then wandered away to do chores. I was near tears. Why?

Because the understated way he asked her if she liked it was exactly the way he would have said it if she were still alive and standing there. And his quiet confidence that she still is standing there, in the care of a God whom he trusts so completely, is a true inspiration.

My wife remarked on the way home that he has more faith than any church-goer we know.

No comments: