Sunday, September 26, 2004

The fire in the dark

At about 6 AM, this morning, I woke up, shook off the strange dreams I had been having about the emperor from "Star Wars," and came downstairs. I was the first one up, and it was cold. I like the dark in the morning, so I turned on the dimmest light I could find, and took some kindling and paper out of the woodbox. Soon, I had a roaring fire, and I made myself a roast beef sandwich. I noticed that all the windows were open, and thought to myself, "Summer habits die hard." I went around and closed them all.

I sat by the fire for the next 40 minutes, watching the dawn slowly arrive. By the time my brother in law woke up and came downstairs, the view out the window was essentially the same as the photo in "Dawn on the lake." The sun is up now, he's playing Halo, and I am working on my Dad's book again. The music for Halo sounds like Gregorian chant, which somehow feels right when you're watching a sunrise in the fall.

Later we have pot lights to install. We'll see how that goes, but right now, I am content to work quietly enough to hear my own thoughts. Our days get too hectic sometimes for that simple pleasure.

No comments: