Saturday, September 25, 2004

"Last night, I got loaded" (Apologies to Los Lobos)

I didn't, actually, I just thought quoting Los Lobos would be cool. I went to bed at 11:30. No, my wife and my brother in law got right tanked. He was supposed to get up and go duck hunting at 4 AM, and never ended up getting to bed. The bottle of whiskey didn't even get opened until after I went to bed, and by 4 AM, it was 3/4 gone. She went to bed, he went duck hunting, not having slept at all. The first duck hunt of the season, he is normally quite animated. Instead he fell asleep in the duck blind. :-)

When he got back, he went to bed, and slept til noon. My wife got up at noon, too, and promptly discovered just how hung over she was, rushing to the bathroom to venerate the porcelain altar.

It is just as well I suppose. My back is still sore, and I did not really feel like working today. I cut a jig for the pot lights, and that was the extent of my efforts today. I napped outside, came back in, napped inside. When I came back in, it was actually to read. I picked up my NRSV, and flipped it open, where it fell to the opening pages of Ecclesiastes. I read, reading past "There is nothing new under the sun," past "For everything there is a season," until the weariness of Solomon got to me, and I fell asleep, dreaming dark dreams.

Right now I am supposed to be working on my Dad's book. He is having to publish it himself, even though everyone he has had sent it to just loved it (including the publishers who demured.) He even had a leftenant-general of some note write the book's foreword… I guess nobody is publishing new authors these days. I actually produced a fully printed and bound copy of the book for him for Christmas last year. He was really touched and grateful. More importantly, it motivated him to get the book published and out there, so I suppose I had better get to it.

*Sigh* Why do I still feel like everything is a vanity, and there is nothing new under the sun, today?

No comments: