Monday, February 21, 2005

Lenten reflection - Week II

"How are you?"

It is such an innocuous question, isn't it? And yet the possible answers are many. I asked somebody, "How are you?" the other day, and she asked me if I was just being polite. I was surprised to be asked this, but is it not a valid question?

The readings for the second Sunday of Lent (just past) culminate with the Matthew account of the transfiguration (Matthew 17:1-9.) The response of the apostles to the transfiguration is the same basic reaction advocated by that popular bumper sticker "Jesus is coming. Look busy!"

Instead the scurrying about of the apostles to make tents and ingratiate themselves with their guests results in them being told in no uncertain terms, "Listen to Him!"

I find it amazing how difficult a skill listening actually is. During the priest's homily about the transfiguration on Sunday, I found myself starting to zone out and withdraw into my own thoughts, my own worries and musings. And then he would quote that line again, "Listen to him!" and I would realize anew that I was not listening at all. And then at the end of Mass, our choir leader wasn't paying attention and missed his cue. :

This is why when I ask people how they are, I am resolved to hear the actual answer, whatever it entails. It isn't easy getting anyone's attention. And it may be even harder to keep it. But it terrifies me to think what it might imply if none of us makes the effort.

For if we only hear, and do not listen, then we are being reached by no-one. And if our acquaintances too are off in their own little worlds, then that also means we are all alone, isolated in the impervious watch towers of our unbreachable defences.

So I ask, How are you? How are you really?

2 comments:

Irina Tsukerman said...

Sleepy! : 0 But actually, it just happens that today should be a really good day (if all works out as my evil plans entail), so I'm pretty happy. How are YOU?

evolver said...

Well that is good, aside from the sleepy part, maybe. Is it good to be tired? I am tired also. My post from the plane has the grisly details. :-)