Thursday, February 17, 2005

I was going to work on a song tonight...

I had half contemplated re-recording "Were you There", a lovely African-American spiritual that I did around this time last year. But after a full day of work, ambition can turn quickly into fatigue. :-)

If I were actually capable of working on musical projects in stages, I'd be a lot better off. I've got this new song that I've had languishing for three months. I was experimenting with a synthesizer at the cottage one Saturday morning and came up with it. I like it, but because I didn't complete it right away I never will in all likelihood. I have another one I've had on the go since the 80s, never finished it.

No, when I write a new song I've got to get it all down right away - not just written, but even a demo of it recorded. And that is a real pain in the butt, because it takes hours to record a song to any level I am satisfied with. So if I went down and got at it right now, I'd be up all night. And since we're going to sunrise Mass tomorrow (a little Lenten tradition at my parish), I really don't want to be up all night.

If only I were a litle more ambitious...

3 comments:

Irina Tsukerman said...

Wow, that's really cool! A rising star! So, how long 'till the Grammys? ; )

evolver said...

Heh - no grammys, I think. My career path just doesn't have flamed-out rock star in it anywhere. :-)

But I have posted music online before, and made the "charts" on their artist list a few times. My latest recording is this one.

Irina Tsukerman said...

So how did you start writing music?