Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Believe it or not, I'm flyin' on air...

Have you ever blogged from a plane before? I haven't – before today! Right now, I am on a JetsGo jet somewhere Oshawa, east of Toronto.

I first woke up this morning about 3 AM. I don't need an alarm clock, you see. I a rather light sleeper. But I did turn over to face the clock, so that as I continued to wake up periodically (as I normally do) I would instantly see the time, so I could know whether to go right back to sleep. Or I would know that it was that time, time to throw myself into the shower and get ready to go.

As the magic time of 4:45 approached, the oddest thing began to happen – I would wake up, go to sleep for what felt like a fair little stretch, and wake up to discover that it was only a minute later. Time began to crawl for me.

Finally 4:45 AM came, and dutifully I arose, showered, and went downstairs to make myself a hearty breakfast. As I sat in the dark living room eating it, I started watching the tube. The television, you see, was already on because my wife and my older daughter fell asleep watching it. The show that happened to be on was a docudrama about JFK Jr, and I had started watching as they dramatized his last hours. It didn't occur to me until the plane I am on now was queuing up on the runway how ominous a thing that was - how I had watched his ill-fated takeoff simulated that very morning.

Of course, statistically, I'm safer right now than I was on the taxi ride to the airport. But as I look out the window I see two things – the right turbine is just behind me, and the clouds are far below me, even those wispy ones that always seem so high. I am not the master of my fate, not the captain of my soul. My life is to some extent in the hands of the captain and first officer, but there are limits even to their ability to keep me safe. Their competence and good judgment will improve my already good odds.

But ultimately I am in the hands of God. Fatalist? No – just a hopeful realist. I trust, and whatever result comes to pass will be the right outcome. :-)

1 comment:

Irina Tsukerman said...

Have a safe trip and a soft landing! (I always feel like that on the plane. Once when I was flying during a blizzard... but I'll wait with that story until you land!) : )