Friday, February 11, 2005

Last day

It is the last day, our last full day here. I've gotten a bit more time on the Internet today. The computer, you see, is in my parents' room, so it always felt a little invasive going in while they were here.

But this won't be a long entry. My fingers are cold, and I'm having trouble typing right. Yes, you heard that correctly. The Canadian is cold in Florida! If I've acclimatized that quickly, then surely I am I in for it when I get back. It is only about 48-50 degrees out there right now, and the humidity of the ocean adds to the effect.

Beginning the observation of Lent while on vacation has not been easy, or rather, perhaps it has been too easy. It has been for me in the past the beginning of a period of deep reflection into myself: my choices in life, my choices for the rest of my life, and the question of what sacrifice really means. What does "ashes to ashes" really mean for me?

Hard to wander out into the proverbial desert when there are waves pounding the sand. Perhaps I will be of the right mind on my return. :-)

3 comments:

Irina Tsukerman said...

I think about choice in life as they come... I found that thinking about everything beforehand doesn't really work because when I'm in the actual situation I usually wind up making a different choice anyway.

evolver said...

I know that I over-contemplate some things, but Lent has marked some profound changes for me. I choose to change, and at least with some of what I choose I stick to it.

The religious aspect deepens for me what would otherwise merely be a set of new year's resolutions to break. :-)

Irina Tsukerman said...

That's interesting. I think that over-contemplating is better than under-contemplating! ; )