Thursday, July 8, 2004

My Parents

It was nice to see them yesterday. My wife and youngest daughter are working at my brother in law's cottage this week, and my older daughter is, well, too old and too cool to spend much time with Dad. :-)

But surprisingly, I haven't had time to be lonely. My Dad and I went swimming in the pool at their hotel. I forget how clear the water is in a pool - most lakes are murky and hard to see in. Swimming in a pool is like floating in the air, at least until the chlorine gets you. We talked about many things, including my crazy brother.

My brother is a real character, and he always has been. When he first came home from the hospital, I decided to share my most precious possession with him; I put my security blanket in his crib. He tossed it right out again - don't ask me how!

He calls my cat "Rusty" even though he's known for fifteen years that his name is in fact "Dusty." My brother has been in the clothing recycling business for about ten years, and he never wears the same thing twice. He takes clothes out of the piles he manages, wears and washes them, and then puts them back. At an ice fishing tourney, he once wore this full length fur coat with fur a foot thick, and a russian bearskin hat. He looked just like Sasquatch!

When my brother graduated from university with his Poli-Sci degree, he applied for a job as a political aide with every single member of Parliament. He got a rejection letter from every single one! He mulled making a giant collage out of these letters, and selling it to the National Gallery as art (unemployment was very thematic at the time, as there was a recession.)

He owns part of a farm my parents once owned, and has a mile of waterfront. He is great pals with a lot of the locals, and always has them over for his fishing derbies. About a year ago, he bought a cannon, which he fires across the lake about twice a year. You can hear it in the town at the other end of the lake, and he is always asked about it there when he fires it.

We went to a French dinner theatre once, and of course my brother struck up a friendship with all the people there, using only rudimentary French to do so!

What would we do without the colourful people in our lives? :-)

4 comments:

Lane said...

Your brother sounds like Quite the character.

evolver said...

He really is. :-)

I saw him last night. He told me they are fixing up an old flour Mill from the 1800s at the end of his lake, and he's worried they will take the lake level down. So he was joking he might overthrow the town with his cannon. :-)

Lane said...

Hehe. Never a dull moment with a man like that around.:-p

Lane said...

Catching Him. (God)
Really it's an impossible phrase.
We can no more catch him than the East can catch the West.
They're too far removed from each other.

It's like playing chase with my daughter. I really dont have to run. I just artfully dodge this way and then that, and she can't even touch me, because a three year old can't catch an adult. But thats really not the purpose of the game, because a few minutes into the game she says, " Oh Daddy " and its at that moment she captures my heart, if not my presence or body. And then I turn and she's no longer chasing me, but I am chasing her, and I catch her and we tumble in the grass with hugs and kisses.

THE PURSUER BECOMES THE PURSUED