Tuesday, July 6, 2004

I think this is the longest I've gone

I think this is the longest I've gone without posting here, since I started. I may go even longer soon. I am taking a couple of weeks vacation, and I don't imagine I will be near a computer during that time.

What a wonderful thing summer is. Driving down the road to Cherry Valley in Quinte's Isle a week or so ago, I noticed that the afterglow was still hanging in there as late as 10:30 at night! Of course, daylight peaks with the solstice just as summer gets under way, so summer is a waning season.

But it is okay for things to wane. As pretty as the rising dawn is, a sunset is even prettier. What comes leaves us with much anticipation and/or fear - but anticipation is often disappointed, and fears are often unrealized. What has come leaves us with memories - memories that either chasten us to do better, or leave us with a feeling of satisfaction and happiness.

Not that memories are always objectively correct, of course. But they leave us with a much better sense of who we are then the wishes we whisper into the wind.

No comments: