Monday, July 12, 2004

The Magnificat

One of the most beautiful prayers I know is called the "Magnificat" - it is the poem of praise said by Mary in Luke when she is visiting her cousing Elizabeth.

Even though the prayer is written in Mary's voice, I say it from time to time, because we are all so blessed by God. Actually, it is more likely that I sing it. There is a glorious version of the prayer in song by John Michael Talbot.

It is a particularly beautiful prayer, for it shows how God does not favour the already-strong, or those who consider themselves the deserving. Mary counts God as a Savior who raises up the poor, and scatters the proud. All those who think in their suffering that God has abandoned them can see that they are wrong: for it is when you most need God's help, that He is most willing to send it.

My soul magnifies the Lord,
And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
For He has regarded the low estate of His handmaiden,
For behold, henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
For He who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is His name. And His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with His arm:
He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
He has put down the mighty from their thrones,
and exalted those of low degree.
He has filled the hungry with good things;
and the rich He has sent empty away.
He has helped His servant Israel, in remembrance of His mercy;
As He spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to His posterity forever.

Luke (1:46-55)

1 comment:

Lane said...

Very beautiful. Those words ring so true in my heart.