Thursday, July 22, 2004

I think vacationing has fried my brain

I just went over the spelling of my "I Found a way to post" post - egads!

At any rate, if vacationing has yet to fry my brain, it has certainly fried my skin. I now go by the alias, "Lobster man." We went to the Sandbanks beach (not the "Outlet beach" in Athol bay that everyone thinks is the Sandbanks, but the real one that sandbars West Lake and Lake Ontario.) I had sunscreen! Really! My wife got mildly burnt, but my youngest daughter seems impervious to sunburns. Mind you, I don't think she left the water once.

My older daughter did not come with us on this trip. She is at home looking for a job. This is the first vacation we have taken without her, and her absence is a tangible emptiness. She is old enough that she would not be going everywhere with everything we have done, but I do notice her just her not being around.

Yesterday, after a little normally rough water, the water returned to its glassy state.  Watching the sun set over this is truly something to behold. Too suns approach the horizon from opposite ends, and merge in a deep red fire before winking out, leaving a crescent moon and wisps of purple clouds. Over the time my parents have lived here, I think I've photographed a hundred sunsets, and my father, hundreds more.

I'm fortunate my Mom is letting me use her computer. I can see clearly I would likely not have the self-discipline to have just booted up my own laptop and made Word document journal entries. Blogger really is useful! (Even if it does result in me spelling forty as 'fourty'. :-)

No comments: