Friday, July 16, 2004

Crisis in Sudan

For years, Arab militiamen from the North of Sudan have been hunting and killing animists and christians from the south. US experts are evaluating whether the latest incidents are genocide or not.
 
Bin Laden ran his operation out of Khartoum, Sudan once. The foreign fighters terrorizing the locals have seen better days, though. The UN security council has limited the flow of arms in Sudan, and hopefully can help the indigenous African population reclaim their country.
 
I know I have harped on this before - but I can't help it. I filter all things like this through the prism of my faith. I just cannot understand why people want to kill in the name of God. First of all, God, having created a universe uniquely suited to life, doesn't seem to me to be the kind of being who wants humans, thinking and feeling creatures in God's image, to kill each other.
 
Secondly, killing for God seems to display a remarkable lack of trust in God. If for some reason unknown to us, God truly needed someone to die, would he need ragtag bandits on horseback to carry it out? God is, in the words of St. Paul, "All in All."
 
In the Book of Job in the Tanakh/Old Testament, God asks Job, "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the Earth? Tell me if you have understanding." He does not require our help in settling questions of who should die, "for to him, all are alive." (Luke 20:38)
 
If we need to serve God with actions, that is how. Help people to live. He is God of the living, not the dead.

No comments: