Wednesday, July 7, 2004

My parents are in town

They went to see Fahrenheit 9/11 with my brother last night. That was the activity I was going to propose for them tonight. I asked my mother if she thought it was too violent, because she hates watching violence. She did not seem to think the film was overly violent, fortunately.

I suppose we are inundanted with so much cinematic violence that we are quite innoculated against the shock of seeing people die. How sad for us that we are so acclimatized to death and destruction!

Instead, I am going to go over to their hotel. We'll eat, laugh, and I will get to go for a swim. Is it better to do such simple things than work up a rage over this war in Iraq? I don't know. Some part of me thinks that it is futile to be upset over things so far out of our power to change up here in Canada. On the other hand, I can't help but forget St. Paul's admonishment not to let the sun go down on your anger.

Of course righteous anger does not seek violence. Nor is it futile. Righteous anger has a purpose. I used it in the recent election, by ensuring that the pro-War Conservative party did not get my vote. Righteous anger grabs ahold of your sensibilities; it does not take hold of your heart, nor harden it. :-)

Amor vincit omnia. Maybe I can do more to end war by loving my parents (and everyone else I know, too, of course) and keeping every moment precious like a gift from God then I could do being upset about it.

I hope so. It is what I aim to do. :-)

No comments: