Tuesday, July 20, 2004

I Found a Way to Post!

Well, here I am on Quinte's Isle in Lake Ontario, and my Mom has let me use her computer. :-)
 
The first few days, the water was as calm as could be. Now, if you've ever been to the Great Lakes, you know that they are not really lakes, but in fact are small freshwater seas. The water is normally rough, breaking against the rocks below my parents' house in five to seven foot waves at times.
 
All this glassy water has let us to do things we normally can't - canoeing, for example. And we've done lots of snorkeling, which big waves can complicate too (water down the snorkle hole is a complication, I'd wager.) There are no shortage of things to see when snorkeling in this area. There are dozens of shipwrecks spanning the 19th and 20th centuries. And the wrecks are in shallow water on limestone ledges. The visibility on the calm days is something else - you can see thirty, fourty feet underwater, which is far beyond what you normally get in small muddy freshwater lakes.
 
I saw a heron yesterday, while on a visit to Point Petre with a local naturalist. Such large birds - they look a little like emaciated pelicans, or perhaps more like a stork. They like to nest in high dead trees. The swamp we were in was surrounded by blackberry bushes, a good compensation for being eaten by bugs.
 
I hope to be able to write more. Who knows? I might...

4 comments:

WFKA5M said...

It sounds like a nice respite from urban life. Enjoy your time away.

Lane said...

It sounds like a great time. I envy you being able to dive on those wrecks! Enjoy.

evolver said...

Thank you both for your well-wishing. :-) I'm trying to accurately echo my train of thought, Lane, and I hope I don't seem too over the top with the 'diving for wrecks' thing. Shoot me if I come off as one of those arrogant traveloguers. ;-)

Lane said...

Not at all sir. You gave me such a description I found myself closing my eyes and imagining being there. Thanks for the mini vacation. :-)