Monday, April 25, 2005

Way, Truth, Life

"When its your time, its your time." This is a favourite saying of my brother in law. People mistake this thought for despondency, but it isn't. He simply means by it that there are specific things we are each supposed to accomplish in life. Those who are called away from it early are those who, in however short or long a time they had, accomplished it.

I mull the idea over in my head from time to time, wondering how this applies in cases where someone's life is cut short by another, or in war or natural destruction. But therein lies a difference - my brother in law trusts it to be true, whereas I have to put my fingers in its wrists and side. I struggle to trust in providence all the time. But I think... I think, despite my difficulties, on balance, I do.

I go to prepare a place for you and Where I am going, you cannot follow sound like incongruous statements. But they are written on the same page. As difficult as it may appear, it will all work out wonderfully - for no reason other than that it is meant to.

2 comments:

A said...

You're right.

When I was a kid....I never could have conceived of saying these words....but your blog is a blessing to me.

Irina Tsukerman said...

I see your point, because looking at life that way is very helpful when you can't do anything to change the situation. However, it doesn't mean that you should just let things go and never help yourself or try to prevent life from being cut short if you can at all help it. Unfortunately some people take a fatalistic view, and lose their efficacy, so it's a good thing you're skeptical sometimes.