Friday, April 15, 2005

Baptist pastor disputes need for papacy

This particular anti-Catholic Baptist pastor says, "We're all priests if we're saved" as an argument as to why people should convert from Catholicism to... well, I suppose his denomination.

Baptist pastor disputes need for papacy

Now why would I even care what some bigot says, or get defensive about it, you might ask? I think the answer lies in the amusement factor.

The funny thing in is that his comment, "We're all priests if we're saved", is actually an important part of Catholic theology. In Vatican II's Lumen Gentium, the laity (ordinary people) are called the "common priesthood", and the council states, "The apostolate of the laity is a sharing in the salvific mission of the Church. Through Baptism and Confirmation all are appointed to this apostolate by the Lord himself."

Now if I'm not very much mistaken, that's just a hoity-toity way of saying the exact same thing as Rev. Franklin, no? :-)

2 comments:

Irina Tsukerman said...

Wow, that's pretty interesting - I've never heard of that.

A said...

Oh, don't worry. I was raised Southern Baptist (ran as fast as I could away from that), and so many of them just have the darnedest way of saying things that are meant to be mean and hateful. I could go on and on, but I won't. I think Catholicism is cool, not my path, but a cool path nonetheless. Heck, we're all trying to get to the same place as far as I'm concerned.

It is amazing, though, the anti-Catholic sentiments that arise in some of these smaller Southern towns. I have even know of a couple of couples in my old hometown who were discriminated against while going through the adoption process.

Yep, I guess it never quits being surprising how ignorant people can be.