Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Famous ancestors

Do you have ancestors that are reknowned? Take for instance Tom Jones - I heard on the radio once that tests done on the DNA of Otzi, the neolithic iceman found frozen in the Alps showed that Tom was one of his descendants.

In my case, I have a connection to the Beach Boys song, "Sloop John B." The ship in question was called the "John B" because its captain was a Welshman named John Bethell. That man is my ancestor.

I remember excitedly telling a friend of mine about this, only to discover that her ancestors were slaves. Possibly ones brought over by MY ancestors! To this day, she continues to insist I owe her money. :-)

3 comments:

Ph said...

I'm related to Abe Lincoln, through marriage and many descendants.

evolver said...

That is really quite cool. Honest Abe himself, huh?

But don't you worry about working in a theatre? ;-)

Ph said...

It was by marriage...and we don't have box seats and I rarely get to watch it. So no, not really. Although I hadn't really thought about it...so long as I don't work at Fords.