Tuesday, June 1, 2004

Writing the words of a sermon that noone will hear

Why write a blog that nobody reads? I don't know. It is not that I have deliberately avoided becoming the Eleanor Rigby of blogs. I've been on the Internet for ten years now, so I am well aware that "build it and they will come" is the silliest thing you could say about any website.

So why leave a legacy of anonymous writing that nobody will ever read? Well... God hears it. At some point I will archive it to CD. Perhaps some day one of my kids will pick through my belongings, find a CD, and take some interest in who I really was, beyond grumpy taskmaster and general all around jungle gymn.

Perhaps I am simply writing to myself. It would not be so unusual. I have come across a few blogs by browsing, where I am quite sure the author has not expected anyone to ever read anything they have written. I feel at such times like I am Shelley, stumbling across Ozymandeas' ruins in the desert. Am I creating a terrible monument destined to be ashes and dust?

No comments: