Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Graduation Day

My daughter graduates from high school today - high school! And in fact, she could have graduated last year. She decided to try and avoid the double cohort logjam, and so she took extra Grade 12 courses this year.

I really cannot fully comprehend this incredible milestone. The little girl I used to chase around McNabb Park on all fours (she was the banana, I was the gorilla) is not a kid any more. Those endless summer evenings leaping off the swings, and hurling ourselves off the Jungle Gym are gone forever. She's not even an adolescent. She is an adult, albeit a young one going off to college next year.

I am not ready for an empty nest. Already, she spends most of her time hanging around with her boyfriend. She shows up to be fed, and to sleep. :-)

I am not given to sentimentality, generally. But when I do give in to it, I turn into a blubbering mess. (Did I just admit that?)I hope I can keep it together today.

No comments: