Sunday, June 20, 2004

Reunion epilogue

If there is one thing I can learn from a high school reunion, now that I have been to one, is how few people I actually knew in high school. Let me qualify that – I knew few people in my graduating class. I was acquainted with a few people who were there, but only one person who was there is someone I could rightly call a friend.

I suppose this is in part because I am a hermit. And in part because this whole thing confirmed for me that your friends are the association you make for yourself. It is not necessarily high school, or university, or anything that stands as the defining time in your life: it is whatever you want to define your life that actually defines it.

For me that is mostly family. I have not generally been able to sustain lots of friendships outside that. Is that bad? I honestly don’t know, but that is how it is.

No comments: