Tuesday, November 22, 2005

open book: In honor of St. Cecilia..

Amy Welborn asks In honor of St. Cecilia that people tell a memorable story of how music moved them.

Here is one, though I have many.

Not a church moment, but profound for me anyway. I was on my way to a theatre to see "The Gospel of John" film that Garth Drabinsky had produced. I was in a very dark place, and had been for days - perpetual rainclouds over my head regarding my own inadequacies.

Outside the theatre, I heard the echoes of a song I'd heard a few times on the radio, I think. But this time, I listened to the words - it was Josh Groban's rendition of "You Raise Me Up."

You raise me up
So I can stand on mountains
You raise me up
To walk on stormy seas
And I am strong
When I am on your shoulders
You raise me up to more than I can be.


Tears welled up as I realized this was exactly how I needed to feel. Of course, I could expect inadequacy in my life. But I also had a God capable of taking me past them. What a cathartic moment, brought by a lovely rendition of a simple song.

No comments: