Tuesday, October 26, 2004

What are you looking for?

What are you looking for?

Jesus asked a group of people why they had sought John the Baptist, "What did you go out into the wilderness to behold?" What a provocative question! Who has not gone seeking in his or her life, hoping to find the answer to life's mysteries? But we so often forget what the question is. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy makes light of this by telling us that the answer to the mystery of life is forty two. Only later do we learn that the question is six times seven. :)

Is God the answer? Probably, but if you are looking to find God - if you are looking to find where God is in your life, perhaps the best place to look is to figure out what the question is.

For me, that question has always been, since I was a small child, "What am I doing here?" And yes, I believe God is the answer to that question. I am here because God wants me to be here. He loves me. And he wants me to love others. He wants my love to be a way I make his presence felt to people, at various times and places, just as God shows his love for me through the many people who wander in and out of my life. I do not do perfectly at this. I do not even do particularly well at it. But I knocked, and I found. It is what I am to do.

Is this your question, "What am I doing here?" It may be something like that, and it may not be. But I can tell you this - figure out what the question is, and you can surely look to God to help find the answer. There is a good chance He in fact is the answer. :)

No comments: