Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Fixing Things

Jesus said to his disciples:
"Gird your loins and light your lamps
and be like servants who await their master's return from a wedding,
ready to open immediately when he comes and knocks.
Blessed are those servants
whom the master finds vigilant on his arrival.
Amen, I say to you, he will gird himself,
have them recline at table, and proceed to wait on them.
And should he come in the second or third watch
and find them prepared in this way,
blessed are those servants."
(Luke 12:35-38)

I've often said that God is not in a hurry. I can't tell how many times I've prayed hard and even impatiently, and discovered to my continuing humility that God does answer the prayer in a spectacular way beyond anything I'd asked for.

That said, I don't see any point in wasting time. There are many things in my life I've let languish. I am a procrastinator by disposition, but why wait? Knowing you need to change something about yourself, and not doing it, is a kind of suffering. You see the chasm between the you that you are, and the you that you need to be, and ask yourself, "Why am I not going over there? I can see the bridge from here!"

I have many things to get done. Time's a wasting, I tell myself. And oddly enough, when I set about getting these things done, more piles up. But that is the way of things, is it not? God only gives you what you can handle.

1 comment:

Lane said...

Yes, I to put off the things I know I should do. Some would make my life much easier and yet I do not seem to have the.....to do it.