Friday, October 29, 2004

100,000 civilians have died in the Iraq war

100,000 civilians have died in the Iraq war. By my calculations, that is more than thirty three times the number of people who died on September 11, 2001. The report suggests most have died from airstrikes by coalition forces. Death by violence is now the leading cause of death in Iraq. Half the population of Iraq is under sixteen.

Note carefully. None of these people, half of whom were children, are "liberated." They have not been given "democracy." They are simply dead, their destinies altered forever by death raining from the sky.

This is not of God. If anyone thinks this was a moral war, re-read my entry on Just War with that 100,000 figure in mind, and ask yourself if you can support the war, and if the people who decided to wage it it can lay any claim whatsoever to the label "Christianity."

I ask you to pray that those who idolatrously worship Mars, the god of war, lose their influence on our hearts, and pray above all that the people of Iraq may soon be spared of their ongoing suffering.

2 comments:

Lane said...

After reading this post I found it difficult to sleep last night. I support Bush for many reasons yet after looking into this post I must agree it is based on hard facts. I have prayed long and hard over this war and to read of all the horrors the children are going though I can barely breath.
You have convinced me that this war is wrong. I cannot however vote for Kerry. I will abstain from voting this year for the first time in my life. I know of no other course I can take.

evolver said...

It would be wrong for me to try and influence your choice of vote, and I do not want to do that. But I also think it is very important to vote. All our democracies have been hard won.

If I'm not mistaken, there are a number of Presidential candidates. If you cannot support the major parties, is there a candidate for one of the minor parties (such as Libertarian or Green) whose positions work for you? Its always worth a look...