Monday, October 4, 2004

"I have become all things to all"

"For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, that I might win the more." (1 Corinthians 9:19)

People often assume St. Paul is talking only of an evangelical strategy for early Christianity, perhaps nothing more than St. Paul posing as a Jew to proselytize his religion. But there is a deeper reality he is speaking to - the importance of reaching out to people as they already are. When we meet people in their world, in the place they already inhabit, our love is truly unconditional.

Love that we are only willing to give when people meet us where we are is not love.

"To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that I might by all means save some." (1 Corinthians 9:22)

3 comments:

Ph said...

Thank you.

I feel like I should say more, but I don't even know how to word the emotions. So I think "thank you" covers it.

Ph said...

I have a request, I don't know if you do requests but I find that your blogs are very calming. So I was wondering if you could blog about coping with grief and loss? I know you frequently deal with misery, but this is a little more specific. Thanks.

evolver said...

I can do that.

My August archive touches on it. My wife's sister and her husband have been my wife and I's best friends for many years, and we loved them dearly. After a family camping trip the first weekend of August, she passed away suddenly of a heart attack, on a weekend when we had all gotten together to finish the renovations on her kitchen.

I spent most of my August writing to try and understand it, but perhaps it is time to come back to that.