Monday, October 4, 2004

Transforming Suffering, Again

I've noted many times that one of the primary subjects of this blog is the mystery of suffering. I do this deliberately, and for a few reasons. One of the reasons I think is to reaffirm any of my readers; suffering often brings people a wavering in their faith - it is the first time faith is truly tested. And from everything I have seen, those who suffer the least are those who find in their suffering that mustard seed that leads to deeper faith. Why do we suffer? The quest for an answer either leads us to despair or hope. I have always hoped to persuade you, dear reader, to seek the latter.

I was originally motivated to write, and write, and write on this topic after reading a book called "Transforming Suffering," which is a set of essays redacted from a multi-faith meeting at Gethsemane held by monks and nuns from a variety of faiths and traditions. I've always had deep respect for the wisdom of people who have committed themselves to contemplative religious orders. Having gone on just a few short retreats, I have learned an awful lot from meditation. Those who devote themselves to it as a profession clearly gain insight from it, and we are fortunate whenever they share it.

I was particularly moved by one essay by Abbot John Daido Loori, writing about the passing of his mother. He writes, "I have dedicated my whole life to helping people. I do it all the time. But I didn't have the tools to reach her. Then suddenly I thought, 'What has been the continuing center of mother's life going all the way back to when she was a little girl?' It was prayer."

He writes that he began to pray with her, and even though she was barely conscious and frightened, she started to pray along. And when the Abbot switched to Italian, her native language, "her voice then came into it." Peace overcame her and she fell asleep. And though she passed away the next morning, Abbot Loori writes, "In helping a person find peace at the moment of death, the method is not important, it's the heart behind it that makes the difference."

So it is with any of our sufferings in life. It is not how you helped someone.

It's that you did help someone.

No comments: