Thursday, March 17, 2005

I read in some blog....

A quote by an author that the worst writers are the ones that self-censor. The blog doesn't seem to have unique article URLs, so I can't provide a convenient link.

But I am intrigued by the idea. I've always held back here, but I think I do that more now than in the past. My blog is less interesting than it used to be, because I'm not throwing myself splat on the page, so to speak. In August, 2004, I did that. What gets in the way of me posting more openly, honestly?

  • I am afraid to. In part, for my own sake, but also because a person's life necessarily involves other peoples' lives. What right do I have to write or speak about people who have not necessarily consented to be discussed in such a public way?
  • I'm afraid of offending people. I know I don't exactly have Glenn Reynold's entire readership watching everything I say, but a few intemperate remarks, and I could alienate people. I've got all kinds of strong opinions, but I agonize over coming to believe anything. I've often come from the other side of the fence, in what I believe.
  • I change my mind. I'm careful about what I write, because when I go back and read things I've written in the past, it does not even seem like the person I'm reading is or was me. It is frightening to read what I've written on usenet, but even in the short time I've been in this blog, I've said things in a way that seems alien to me.
  • I worry that there is no profounder depth, no richer context I can give to what I experience. Maybe I have run out of things to say.

That tremendous honesty is why I've got some of the blogs on my reading list on the side. There are bloggers who pour themselves on the page with a level of self-reflection that I deeply admire. I wish I could do that.

2 comments:

Irina Tsukerman said...

You could discuss others if you give them nicknames. That way no innocent (or guilty) suffer, but you still get to discuss an interesting character.

Irina Tsukerman said...

Besides, I really like your blog. It's very thoughtful AND thought-provoking. I think you're doing a great job, and I think with time you'll get more relaxed about what you write. I had the same dilemma, too, initially! ; D