Wednesday, March 9, 2005

Greetings from foggy San Diego

Hello!

Yes it is foggy today, but still warm and humid. I'll take that over
the arctic blast back home.

I think I am past the jet lag. Last night, we went from party to party
at the conference, and it was remarkable the variety of ways that the
various vendors throw festivities. I played mini-golf in one room, and
got the Hawaiian treatment (that ring of flowers - what is it called?)
in another. A blues band with a slide guitarist who sounded just like
Elmore James played in one room. Across the hall, a small brass
quartet played New Orleans style jazz.

After we left, the other guys went in search of another party. I just
walked back to the hotel, enjoying the quiet of the path beside the
San Diego trolley line. And I had this quiet for half the walk, until
a huge Santa Fe diesel engine with about a mile of cars passed by me.
But I spent my childhood fascinated with big trains, so I gladly
traded my enjoyment of the silence for the enjoyment of a big old
freight train.

No comments: