Monday, July 10, 2006

I am Stockwell Day!

That's a Canadian in-joke I'm using to segue (badly) into yesterday's little bit of fun. We all took my brother in law's Seadoo out onto the lake - my twelve year old daughter included!

When my brother in law tore out onto the lake (he went first), I turned to my wife and said, "He's like a little kid." She smiled back at me. Earlier, we'd been working, landscaping the yard, and finishing some kitchen cabinets my brother in law had promised to build for his sister. And the day before, we went to Kingston to see Pirates of the Carribean. My brother in law drove my daughter there on his Harley, and my wife and I followed in the car. It had been a weekend of doing just what we wanted, so far, and it would continue. I drove all over the bay - visiting all the little cottages I've walked to in winter, but never seen in summer. I rode my wake, turned into the various inlets, and stopped to let another Jet Ski blow by me.

When we were done, I went back up to the phone, and checked our message service in Ottawa to see if I was leading the music by myself. Sure enough I was. I had enough time to find a song I've always wanted to do, and print it out. It turned out beautifully in church.

It was a simple weekend, one wonderful only because it ran at a languid pace and we did just what we wanted. There are too few days like this in life.

No comments: