Thursday, July 6, 2006

The clothing magnate

Somehow my brother has become a tycoon. Along with his (more organized) wife parlayed a wacky and marginal vintage clothing business into one of London's most fashionable shops.

I am glad I can be happy for him. When we were young, I jealously watched for any advantage my brother might be given, and zealously ensured I was never left out. But my brother has what he has through ingenuity and hard work. I can't begrudge him that!

The interesting thing about their store is that they operate it from here in Canada. In this Internet age, they can review their sales and hold meetings with staff from anywhere in the world. They have to travel to London a lot, but they do not have to live there. I do envy this sometimes - getting to travel to exotic places for work - but I have seen it wear them out. I have few romantic illusions about it anymore.

I have to spend a week in Toronto, in another week or so. Now there's a place I don't have any romantic illusions about!

2 comments:

Irina Tsukerman said...

Congratulations to your brother! That must be exciting! Good luck with your trip to Toronto. : )

Lane said...

Well continued best wishes for your brother's business. As for you, well you will have to settle for enlightening and inspiring people like me and many, many others. Of that I'm sure.

God most certainly has a plan for us all and with each new day I seem to find an added reason to be thankful for the life he has given me.

On your trip you will enrich and be enriched, not with money possibly yet with things that money cannot buy. God makes no mistakes it's just up to us to be watchful enough to see where he is leading us.

God bless and have a safe fruitful trip.