Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Heat wave

We have had an extended heatwave here in Eastern Ontario since the weekend. We don't have air conditioning for a few reasons, so we have dealt with it in the usual ways.

On the weekend, we went to the cottage. On Saturday, we worked in the garage, which stays cool until mid-day, and then spent the rest of the day in the water. My brother in law's crazy dog (the puppy from my Christmas odyssey story) likes to swim. Every time I swim out to the rocks, the dog follows me, and then tries to lead me out to deeper water. She's smart and safety conscious, I guess – always take a swimming buddy. So I swam with the dog, who doesn't try to climb on my back as often as the kids do.

On Sunday, after going to hang some cabinets my brother in law has been working on for his sister, we got in the boat, and headed for a small island. We spent the day eating the contents of the cooler and swimming. Cya (the dog, pronounced see-ya) didn't know who to swim with – she went from person to person in the water, occasionally heading out into the middle of the lake to just... see the sights I suppose. I've never seen a dog that just swims for the sake of swimming before.

Back in town, managing the heat is harder. But we have a system for that too: we went to see Pirates of the Caribbean again last night. I slept in the basement, throwing a mattress down on the cement. It is the biking to work that is the hardest part. I nearly had a heat stroke yesterday, and maybe there's no nearly about it. I was dizzy all day. When I ride, I pour water on my head at every light.

I am in Toronto the rest of the week, and the heat won't ease up until the weekend. Then we are off to the Sandbanks on Quinte's Isle (where my folks live.) By Lake Ontario's shores, it is always cool, and it will be a relief to enjoy the weather, instead of managing it.

No comments: