Thursday, November 11, 2004

Prayer

I have been struggling lately. I have a crippling workload at work (a good thing, don't get me wrong!) I have a half dozen extra-curricular activities. And Christmas, an always busy season, is coming.

It occurred to me today that my stress from all of this probably results from a lack of prayer. Oh sure, I pray regularly at certain times of day. But I have not prayed for help in getting through this, and why wouldn't I? If God can help and wants to, why would I not ask for it?

My wife wrote some handouts for a presentation on prayer she gave the other day. She quotes the Catholic encyclopedia:


Love is the source of prayer and we wish to express our great Love for Him.

Besides obtaining the gifts and graces we need, the very process
elevates our minds and hearts to a knowledge and love of Divine things, greater confidence in God, and other precious sentiments.


Trust, in otherwords, is the great reward of prayer. Confidence and trust that the world (and my day) will unfold the way it should is something I have this morning, thanks to praying about it. And it comes as something of a relief - navigating my day on serenity instead of adrenaline just sounds a lot smoother. :-)

1 comment:

A said...

absolutely on the serenity vs. adrenaline thing.