Saturday, August 6, 2005

Well....

I never did say how the camping went. Well, it all went fine, really. There was an undercurrent of sadness, of course. And there was one moment of real sadness. We were singing around the campfire and my niece asked me to play the song from the funeral. I was reluctant, but I did. As before there were both laughter and tears.

It is actually this weekend that marks the anniversary of when it happened. The same five of us are here at the cottage, but last year we were six. Everyone is fine this morning. I don't know why I would think otherwise, why I would be superstitious about that. But the drive up was so similar, even the colours in the sky, the fiery orange sheet of afterglow over the hills of Lanark was the same. But it is the same time of year, so I can't expect it to be that different. I have no idea how this weekend will go.

I am actually off on two weeks vacation right now. We're going on a trip to British Columbia next week, Vancouver Island to be specific. My cousin is getting married, and then we're off to see my sister in law on her boat/float house. You rarely see such beauty flaunted so brazenly as you do on Vancouver Island, or anywhere on coastal BC for that matter. You could weep at the sight of it; there really is that much spectacular scenery to behold. I am supposed to be singing for this wedding. I'd better get practicing!

No comments: