Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Better, better, better

Life is a kind of progress for me. Not a linear progress, just a general trend. There are always valleys and peaks. But like John Lennon, I'd have to admit its getting better, better all the time. For the second time, I am about to fly off to BC. Seven A.M. tomorrow morning our plane takes off.

The first time I went, I was stunned by how beautiful everything was, and I strained to capture it, by forming mental impressions and taking pictures. However, the pictures were a poor imitation of the real thing, and I did not at that time set down with a pen (or keyboard) anything that happened to me. And I should have. The beauty of British Columbia, those peaks and deep waters, the majesty of the giant conifers - they are the things every person who sees them should breathe in, proof of the great glory of God. The last time I was in BC, I saw my sister in law's boat for the first time (one they rebuilt by hand from an old trawler), and I saw my grandmother for the very last time. I met Billy Proctor. There was so much I could have recorded, so much that should be remembered.

In the time since out last visit, I've returned to songwriting, I've begun blogging, and I have started to put genuine care into every photograph I take. So this time I am taking a 160 page journal, three fine tipped pens, and my guitar. If God's glory is made so blindingly manifest, I will try and press it into a book like a leaf in the fall.

2 comments:

Irina Tsukerman said...

You should post some pictures! That sounds absolutely breathtaking!

April said...

What amazing imagery. The closest I have ever felt to God was in Acadia Nat'l Park in Maine, feeling the warm embrace of the spring sun on the train outside of Paris, standing on a deserted beach in St. John, on the road between Silverton and Ouray in Colorado, and watching the sun set in Sedona, Ariz.

My feelings of God are always tied to places that are not necessarily 'shrines' or 'temples' but places of natural beauty.