Friday, August 13, 2004

A time to laugh, a time to mourn

That passsage from Ecclesiastes was one of the readings at the funeral service yesterday. Also read were 1 Corinthians 13, and John 14. Hundreds of people were there - some from her work, some from the cottage, many relatives, people from our church who attended their surprise wedding last year and knew my sister in law through my wife.

It was a remarkable funeral. There were many tears of course, but many laughs as well. Her husband, with his children standing at his side, delivered the eulogy, without having to stop and compose himself even once - a remarkable accomplishment I have never witnessed before. During the eulogy, a slide show my wife put together (showing many happier times) flashed on the screen.

Afterwords, my brother in law delighted in taking people with proferred handshakes by the arms, and drawing them into hugs. That was the kind of family we were. And still are. She leaves us a wonderful legacy.

I hope, for myself, to find peace soon.

1 comment:

Lane said...

Tonight, my fellow follower, "I hope, for myself, to find peace soon" will be in my prayers for you. I feel you have lived up to St. Francis prayer.(just so you know)