Thursday, April 5, 2007

I've virtually become a non-blogger

Truth to tell, I hardly have time anymore.

Last night was only one of many things I've been working on. Once a year, our parish puts on a big production for Holy Thursday, a reenactment of the Last Supper. I'm the electric guitar player in the choir's backing group, and this gave me the opportunity to try my new guitar a little bit on some of the songs. I say a little bit because it turns out my new Telecaster is quite noisy in certain circumstances. My Stratocaster is wired such that my out of phase positions are hum canceling. Not so the new guitar. I might have to get noiseless pickups for it, or somehow figure out a way to better shield the instrument.

Anyway, the choir sounds in top form, even though we're missing one of our main singers. He's a soulful guy who made certain songs sound amazing, and this year, we can't do them. However, a delightful treat is that we're getting to do a country gospel hymn Vince Gill wrote called "Go Rest High on That Mountain." Its such a soulful song, and I have great guitar and harmony parts on it.

Last night when I got home I put on the Gospel of John film, and watched the scene with Jesus washing the feet of his disciples, which is the hallmark of Holy Thursday. We are called to live a life of service. As I prepare for a men's retreat the week after Easter for which I am a team member - something we've spent months preparing - I have to remember I need to be above all  a washer of feet.

1 comment:

Lane said...

See_post_below_this_one. Rinse and repeat. :-)