Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Canada's charter - 25 today

I was there, twenty five years ago, on that day when Canada got its own constitution - not the British version from 1867, the BNA act, but one of our own making... the one whose centrepiece was the new Charter of Rights.

It was a rainy, rainy day, and there were a few tens of thousands of people on Parliament hill. CBC had at least one tower erected with cameras pointed at the main stand. I could kind of sort of make out the central figures of this drama, the Queen, Trudeau and a handful of other luminaries.

It was a grey and grim day. Speakers chimed out with the words of the luminaries, whose voices echoed like Parliament hill was a canyon (it always sounds like this, which anyone who has attended the sound and lights show can tell you.) The Queen spoke in both English and French, with a palpable sense of the history she was involving herself in.

They signed it. And then a squadron of F-18s did a roaring flyby. I pointed my camera up, up and got a picture of the metal birds soaring by. I tried to take a picture of the signing itself, but all I got were pictures of the crowd.

I still have these photos. I will cherish them and pass them down.... I stood at the presence of history, a silent witness to it. I think it will be good for my ancestors to know that when history happens, and you get the chance, go and see it unfold.

2 comments:

David Wozney said...

The Charter is part of the so-called "Constitution Act, 1982". The "United Kingdom", referred to in the present draft of the "Canada Act, 1982, including the Constitution Act, 1982", refers to the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland”, not the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland".

According to the British North America Act, 1867, the provinces of Canada, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick expressed their desire to be federally united into one Dominion under the Crown of the “United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland", not the Crown of the “United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland”.

evolver said...

Are you responding to a post at a different blog? This doesn't appear to respond to anything that has anything to do with me...