Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Gospel Idol? Ba-doom-boom!

My ad to put together this praise group has brought a few interesting replies. Today I heard from a trumpet player. Who would have thought? My midnight Mass group from Christmas had a trumpet player. But praise music's not the first place you'd expect to hear a trumpet.

I invited the leader of my choir to join, too. That will be an odd role-reversal. I'm used to following his lead, and he's used to me following it. Hopefully this will not be too awkward.

I am trying to put together a list of songs. I have to try and avoid using the same praise songs that will be featured Holy Thursday, which is kind of too bad. They're quite poignant and beautiful, like Paul Baloche's "Above All," which Michael W Smith made famous. But there's lots of good material out there.

One thing I'm thinking I'm going to do - at the suggestion of my other group's leader - is some gospel music. Some rambunctious gospel music should fit in and actually augment the more staid P&W music. So I'm thinking of throwing in a couple of his suggestions for gospel numbers...

No comments: