Monday, February 20, 2006

Adventures in P&W

So my adventures in creating a praise group at church have been like a roller coaster ride. I put an ad on a local music bulletin board on Thursday, looking for musicians. I did get a number of responses - almost all of them from drummers. I wrote three of these drummers back.

Two haven't answered me so far. I have a small suspicion one of them thought this was a paying gig. I do scratch my head at such things - at a P&W night in the sanctuary, there are no bar sales, no collection plate passed around. There's no revenue that you can use to pay a group for its participation. I honestly had not anticipated a problem here, because presumably the inspiration for participating in praise music is not typically monetary. Perhaps I have been naive to think that.

The third invited me into an existing praise group. The thought of getting this done easily led me to agree to try out tonight with these guys, who wanted a rhythm guitarist/backing vocalist.

The thing is, I'm neither. Not to try and seem too immodest - but for perspective, what I am about to say is actually true. I was once one of the city's top blues guitar players, back when I played in bars. And I've put out two CDs now in which I was the featured vocalist. I've put myself into the background in the church music ministry for years, because I knew I needed to learn how to collaborate and cooperate, without trying to take control. But I really feel like, having done that (still doing that in the Sunday night folk group) - I feel like now it is time to step up and put my skills to their full use. I know I can do this. I believe I'm called to do it, at this point in my life. I need the freedom to pick the musicians and tunes, and make something wonderful happen.

So I think I'm going to turn that particular offer to join this group down.

On the plus side, our pastor approved my idea yesterday, and said he'll try and fix dates with my friend (a volunteer coordinator who has kind of pushed me to do this) for the debut event, which will likely be a Lenten P&W night.

Wish me luck, and if you can spare a prayer for me, I'd appreciate that too! :-)

No comments: