Sunday, January 9, 2005

Blasphemy

I'm not a big admirer of religious satire. The reason is not piety, it is that I really only appreciate satire when it is funny. And for some reason, there really have not been too many popular satires of religion or religious figures that are truly funny.

The examples I can think of are either too mean-spirited and insensitive to things people cherish deeply, or conversely, tread too softly. One I did like was the BBC show "Bless Me Father", about a priest, his apprentice, and their cantankerous caretaker.

The BBC seems to have gotten a somewhat less enthusiastic response to their latest thing, a Jerry Springer number. Some outraged viewers have gone so far as to send death threats, and BBC executives have been put on alert with regards to their safety.

I can understand being upset by sacreligious art. What I cannot understand is reacting in such a, well, Old Testament-like way to it. Did Jesus not say, "Blessed are those who are persecuted for my name's sake?" To my mind, that would mean bearing patiently, as St. Peter would say, with indignity.

At any rate, it is much easier to make a point with your patronage, and with well-reasoned arguments. People think Christians are nutty enough, too often. It hurts us all when someone's over-zealousy confirms their fears.

2 comments:

Lane said...

Might I ask what your opinion is on this.

Ph said...

Have you ever seen Father Ted? If so, what do you think of it?