Wednesday, May 19, 2004

We'll Execute Anyone

Texas has once again executed someone not competent to be executed - a schizophrenic prisoner named Kelsey Patterson.

I oppose the death penalty. I think there are more life affirming ways of sentencing prisoners, all the while protecting the public. Governor Perry says that he did not commute the man's sentence, despite an unusual recommendation to do so from the Parole Board, because "Texas has no life without parole sentencing option." That's just an awful, awful reason, and I've heard it from so many death-enthralled governors turning down clemency requests. If there isn't such an option, why not put it in place? Of course they don't, because they don't want to stop executions - it sells at election time with the "hamg em high" voters that predominate everywhere, even here in Canada.

The daughter of the victim said, "I started the day off very pessimistic but it ended as I prayed it would." Now, it is very hard not to feel some sympathy, here. If your mother is brutally murdered, it would be almost instinctive to want revenge. But this is a prayer you cannot expect to have answered, nor was it, despite the fact that Patterson was executed.

God's standard is mercy. I can't help but remember how Sister Helen Prejean characterized one family member at an execution. He wanted to prop up the executee and re-execute him. Sister Helen says it is like giving the victim's families salt water to drink - you may want the cup offered you, but it will never slake your thirst.

As hard as it is, I think the only thing you can do is to forgive; God asks this of us not just because mercy is good for those we give it to, but also because it is good for us ourselves. How wonderful to have the hardness of your heart lifted from you by love!

Now I have never been to the place Michele Smith (the daughter) has been to, and I hope that it never happens to me, God willing. So I can't be too critical. But I pray that she be released from her anger, and that she finds the forgiveness God wants her to give.

No comments: