Monday, May 31, 2004

Live Aid turning.... twenty?

Just seems like yesterday.

A year or so earlier, my folks bought a farm. 1985 would be the year that we tamed it. My Dad, my brother and I were working on a dirt road my Dad had had plowed out with a bulldozer. Now a freshly bulldozed road still needs a lot of work. The bulldozer is like a small tactical nuke - it just rushes in and makes a mess. Many tree roots get stuck in the road, and they have to be pulled out. And of course, there is the drainage issue - a new road is going to make swamps that have to be able to drain off, or your new road will cease to be a road.

Anyway - it was a billion degrees that day, and the horse flies were everywhere. The harder you work, the harder they bite. Sensing that this was my own era's woodstock, I did not want to miss the concert. So I had a whole pile of batteries for my ghetto blaster, and I took it with me on each section of road we worked on. And though we worked pretty hard that day, I still remember the concert fairly well. The music helped keep my mind off the biting flies as I wondered those important questions in life: was it true that Led Zeppelin were getting back together for this? Might even the Beatles, with Julian Lennon playing the part of his dad, turn in a performance? The music itself was kind of interesting - there were some acts that didn't do anything for me, but many were very interesting. Sting was showcasing his new jazz-sound that he continues with til this day. He had Branford Marsalis with him that day. Dire Straits, whom I would see in concert a few days later in Ottawa, played their new song, Money For Nothing. I remember thinking - this can't be Dire Straits! Then the voice kicked in. Weird, I thought.

We had gotten back to the farmhouse in time for one of my all time favourite performances - Eric Clapton. After a few lacklustre years, the master was back. I remember the long rest in White Room, where you know the guitar solo is going to kick in a moment, full bore. And then it did, and did not disappoint. Then a masterful version of the traditional version of Layla. Wow.

What an anti-climactic ending, though. Where some people thought maybe the Beatles would strut out, instead a drunken Ron Wood, Keith Richards, and Bob Dylan stumbled out, and struggled through the set at the local coffeehouse I am sure they thought they had stumbled in on.

Ah well. Live Aid II - can't wait! And all for a great cause still with us today - the badly beset people of Africa.

1 comment:

The Oracle said...

Live Aid was on my 40th birthday but even though I spent most of the day partying with friends and coworkers, I managed to videotape almost all of it. As a Boomer who watched the idealism of the '60s smash against the rocks of an entrenched Johnson-Nixon older generation establishment, I thought I saw a flicker of that long-lost hope in Live Aid. I phoned in my contribution and hoped it would save at least one of those emaciated kids with flies on their faces. Maybe it did, but Africa remains a continent of pain and suffering that could probably suck up the humanitarian resources of the rest of the world and still spiral down into oblivion.
Thanks for your outpost of thougtfulness in Blogland.
olioscourge.blogspot.com